Saturday, April 23, 2022

4 Days in April - Day 2

Saturday, April 23, 2022 - Wendy is on a 6-day retreat - which gives me a GREAT opportunity for a ROAD TRIP:
1,800 miles in 4 days - 10 museums!

Today I will be hitting 2 museums and covering 337 miles:

As opposed to staying up in Buffalo last night, and driving 3 hours to the Cleveland Museum of Art this morning, I wanted to stay near Ashtabula, Ohio, do my Saturday-morning-Zoom-Bible-Study (7:30-9), and drive 1 hour to the 10 AM opening of The Museum. And yes, it worked perfectly - this photo was taken at 10:02 AM:

WOW - I have been here 4 times before, beginning with Day 2 of my first cross-country trip back in 2013 (and I even took Wendy here in April 2018 for a Canaletto/Guardi/Italian Artists exhibition). So today I'm covering the Entire Museum with my NEW CAMERA! Highlights include:

Jackson Pollock - "Number 5, 1950", 1950 oil:

a new Andrew Wyeth - "End of Olsons", 1969 tempera

Pablo Picasso - "Fan, Salt Box, Melon", 1909 oil:

Pablo Picasso - "La Vie (Life)", 1903 oil:

Claude Monet - "Water Lilies", 1919-26 oil

Vincent van Gogh - "The Large Plane Trees (Road Menders at Saint-Rémy)", 1889 oil:

Beautiful space they have here:

Thomas Cole - "View of Schroon Mountain, Essex County, New York, after a Storm", 1838 oil:

Thomas Eakins - "The Biglin Brothers Turning the Stake", 1873 oil:

John Singer Sargent - "Portrait of Lisa Colt Curtis", 1898 oil:

George Bellows - "Stag at Sharkey's", 1909 oil:

Richard Parkes Bonington - "The Doge's Palace, Venice", 1826 oil:

Tommaso 'Antonio Manzuoli, called Maso da San Friano - "Holy Family with the Mystic Marriage of Saint Catherine", about 1560 oil:

A final view at their beautiful interior courtyard:

MapMyWalk had fun with my exploring the Cleveland Museum of Art:

And then it was time (11:55 AM) to find a FUN PLACE FOR LUNCH:

Temperature sure bounced around a lot, going from Cleveland around and up to Detroit:

Up at the Detroit Institute of Arts at 2:36

I have been here 3 times before, with over 70 pieces photographed before. Highlights today include:

Frederic Edwin Church - "Syria by the Sea", 1873 oil:

Jasper Francis Cropsey - "Indian Summer", 1866 oil:

Thomas Cole - "American Lake Scene", 1844 oil:

Pretty lovely space:

Robert Seldon Duncanson - "Ellen's Isle, Loch Katrine", 1871 oil:

Bernardo Bellotto - "View of the Tiber in Rome with the Castel Sant'Angelo", about 1743-44 oil:

John Constable - "Coast Scene near Brighton", about 1824-28 oil:

Gysbrecht Leytens - "Winter Landscape", after 1611 oil:

Simon de Vlieger - "A Calm Sea", 1642 oil:

Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn - "The Visitation", 1640 oil:

Hendrik van Steenwyck the Younger - "Jesus in the House of Martha and Mary", 1620 oil:

Thanks again, Detroit

MapMyWalk had fun again:

Don't forget the wedding party, on a Saturday afternoon:

My girls love watching a show on HGTV - Bargin Block:
They renovate homes in Detroit.

One area they work in is Livernois and Eight Mile W - my map to get there:
and the location:
(I didn't see anybody renovating houses.)

Then 1-and-1/2 hours back down the road, to check-in at the Quality Inn, Fremont, Ohio. Pizza and my fun "Trucker Rescue" show:

Smile on my face. WOW - Thank You God for another Wonderful Adventure/Art Day!

Music for today:

Because I'm heading into Cleveland, I have to listen to "Cleveland Rocks" by Ian Hunter - Shades Of Ian Hunter (3 songs), 1979

Dave Matthews Band - Live In Chicago 12.19.98 At The United Center (2 cds), recorded 1998, released 2001

then because I'm heading up to Detroit, Michigan = Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Like A Rock, 1986

various artists - Every Great Motown Song: 1st 25 Years, 1974
Um, I am IN DETROIT!!!

Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark, 2008

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment