Thursday, May 10, 2018

Deerfield Academy

Thursday, May 10, 2018 - Last month, Wendy and I were at the Albany Institute of History & Art, and I really liked their 5 paintings by Homer Dodge Martin, so I decided to add him into my "Where's the Art?" app. Research revealed he is in collections across the country:


It turns out that Deerfield Academy has one of his paintings! On Thursday April 26 I visited the Boston Public Library to view their copy of "The Charles P. Russell Collection" - a 1969 book published by Dearfield Academy listing their art collection:

The five pieces I found interesting are:
George Inness - Passing Shower, c. 1865 oil:

Winslow Homer - Girl Resting on a Hillside, c. 1868 aquatint:

Homer D. Martin - Criqueboeuf Church, c. 1890 oil:

Frederick Childe Hassam - Rainy Evening - New York, 1891 oil:

Frederick Childe Hassam - Rainy Day - Boston, 1886 oil:

The black-and-white reproductions only whet my appetite to see the real paintings!

Over the next two weeks I exchanged emails with Lydia Hemphill - as is the case at many boarding schools, Lydia wears many hats: Director of Studies, Visual Arts Teacher, Director of the von Auersperg Gallery, Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair. We agreed on this Thursday, so after my breakfast in Boston, I headed west:


I stopped in the Concord Free Public Library to do an hour of work, and got to Deerfield right at 12:30:


We walked over to a house that had the Childe Hassam paintings:
Rainy Day - Boston, 1886 oil

Rainy Evening - New York, 1891 oil


We then went to the Hess Center for the Arts, through the Von Auersperg Art Gallery:

and then through a labyrinth of doors-and-stairs to get back into the storage area:

(I LOVE getting behind-the-scenes)!

Homer D. Martin - Criqueboeuf Church, c. 1890 oil:

it is fun to contrast it with his painting-of-the-same-name out in The Los Angeles County Museum of Art:

(Criqueboeuf Church, Normandy, 1893)

And then back to the Main School building
George Inness - Passing Shower, c. 1865 oil:


I headed back home from there, avoiding (most of) rush hour. Thank you God for a GREAT Adventure DAY!

For my listening pleasure, I have been doing Shuffle Songs on my iPod. 17,869 songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment