Friday, March 4, 2016

Milwaukee Art Museum trip - Days 1+2

Thursday/Friday, March 3/4, 2016 - a mid-Winter trip to Milwaukee (approx. 2,500 miles - 4 days):


There were a couple of reasons I wanted to do the trip - First, to celebrate the Bumper Sticker my lovely wife gave me for my Birthday!

and Second, I REALLY want to see the Milwaukee Art Museum! Not only do they have 13 of my favorite artists, but they are currently hosting an exhibition "Nature and the American Vision: The Hudson River School"


The first day (Thursday) was just driving 662 miles from home to the Thursday Morning Men's Breakfast in Boston, then out the Mass Pike. I-90 goes from Boston to Seattle, so I stayed 1.4 miles off it, just east of Cleveland, checking in at 6 PM. I always get a kick seeing the "Elevation Sign" on the Mass Pike:

Beautiful clear blue skies - a great day to be on the road!

Friday Morning - up and on the road at 6:45 AM to get out to the Fort Wayne Museum of Art. I had scheduled a 10:30 meeting with Sachi Yanari-Rizzo, their Curator of Prints and Drawings, to see a Thomas Moran, a Thomas Hill, and a Robert Scott Duncanson - all paintings in storage. They were having a major fund-raiser dinner this evening, but she was kind enough to allow me to see the works! Although they have a "No Photos" policy, images are available on the Internet.

Thomas Moran - A Glimpse of the Sea, Amangansett, n.d.


Thomas Hill - Yosemite, n.d.


Then west to see Valparasio University covered in snow.

They are on Spring Break, and their Brauer Museum of Art is currently closed.

I LOVE traveling west, because I get an extra hour as I go through Time Zones. In this case, I get an extra hour today, which means that I can hit Milwaukee and get in an extra museum-or-two! I was able to get to the Charles Allis Art Museum by 3 - a small museum in the former home of Charles Allis. A very nice collection - I was interested in paintings by Winslow Homer (watercolor and oil), William Trost Richards, and Thomas Moran. Only the Moran had an online image, so I didn't even know what I was going to see!


Unfortunately, all artwork was framed-with-glass, which means BAD Reflections!!
Thomas Moran - Sunset, 1903


Winslow Homer - Fisherman and Girl in a Rowboat Streaked Red, White and Blue, 1881 watercolor


Winslow Homer - Cliff at Prout's Neck, East Coast of Saco Bay, Town of Scarboro Maine, 1881 oil


William Trost Richards - Sunrise, 1898

You can see the horrible problem with reflection

I was able to get across town to the Haggerty Museum of Art at Marquette University. Although their Bierstadt was not available, there was a nice Albrecht Durer woodcut
The Glorification of the Virgin from Life of the Virgin, ca. 1500


Then northwest to the Paine Art Center in Oshkosh, Wisconsin - got there at 5, and they close at 6 on Fridays! Not only was their art on display, but they were also doing their "Art In Bloom" installation, so the place smelled fantastic.


a lovely Winslow Homer - Lake St. John, Canada, 1895 watercolor


Charles Francois Daubigny - Morning on the Oise, 1866


Back down 41 to the Super 8 in Font du Lac - Thank you God for a GREAT couple of days!

Music for these 2 days was albums from my nanos - Thursday:

Play All Night by The Allman Brothers Band, 1992 (2 cds)


Oh, What A Life by American Authors, 2014


Last Days at the Lodge by Amos Lee, 2008


Mission Bell by Amos Lee, 2011


Rockin' 70s by various artists


Carnegie Hall 4.6.02 by Ani DiFranco, 2002


Reflektor by Aracde Fire, 2013 (2 cds)


My Everything by Ariana Grande, 2014


Augustines by Augustines, 2014


True by Avicii, 2013


Megalithic Symphony by AWOLNATION, 2011


True Confessions by Bananarama, 1986


Music on Friday:
Trio Live by Pat Metheny, 2000 (2 cds)


Flying Cowboys by Rickie Lee Jones, 1989


Fragile by Yes, 1971


The Heart of Chicago by Chicago, (greatest hits)


Hard To Find 45's by various artists


Hearts and Bones by Paul Simon, 1983


July 4th Spectacular by Counting Crows, 2014


Long After Dark by Tom Petty, 1982


The Lumineers by The Lumineers, 2012


Mixed Bag by Richie Havens, 1966


Momentum by Jamie Cullum, 2013


Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done 41-of-48 thru October 2015)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I especially like the painting of the rowboat on the flat water.

    ReplyDelete