Sunday, March 6, 2016

Milwaukee Art Museum trip - Day 4

Sunday, March 6, 2016 - Mentor, Ohio - 2 museums in Syracuse - then home - 667 miles today (2,470 miles total trip!):


At 8 AM, it was 24º in NW Pennsylvania!

I saw 3 young deer grazing by the side of the highway.

Saturday I consulted the list of museums that I have visited, and I discovered that I have missed the two in Syracuse, New York. I called the Syracuse University Art Galleries to see if their Bierstadt and Kensett pictures were on display and I was told "YES", so that was my first stop Sunday (after driving 5 hours!):



Albert Bierstadt - Albino Doe and Two Fawns in Forest, c. 1875


John Kensett - The Fall in the Hills, c. 1850


There was a wonderful large canvas that certainly caught my eye:
(School of) Giovanni Paolo Panini - [Fantastic landscape with ruins and figures], c. 1715

The Display Info Card says that "Another potential author is Hubert Robert of Paris who created similar fantasy paintings in the early years of his career when he was in training in Rome."
detail:


I then went across town to the Everson Museum of Art:


Albert Bierstadt - Nevada Falls, 1863


Asher B. Durand - Artist Sketching Roman Ruins, 1841 graphite


and a nice surprise:
Andrew Wyeth - Hoffman's Slough, 1947


I hit Boston around 4 o'clock, got a car wash in Revere, and got home around 5. Wow-de-Wow-de-Wow - what a great walkabout!! Thank you God!!

Music for today was albums from my new silver nano:

Alone Together by Dave Mason, 1970 (1st solo album after leaving Traffic)


Anything Anytime Anywhere (Singles 1979-2002) by Bruce Cockburn, 2002


Bad Blood by Bastille, 2013


Bedtime Stories by David Baerwald, 1990

David Baerwald is one-half of David + David, whose 1986 album Boomtown is one of my favorites (their only recording). I listened to Bedtime Stories twice because I enjoyed it so much.

Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and the Holding Company, 1968


Live 2012 by Coldplay, 2012 (PLAY IT LOUD!!)


CSNY 1974 - First Set by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 1974
CSNY 1974 - Second Set by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 1974


line from Neil Young's "Old Man":
But I'm all alone at last.
Rolling home to you.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done 41-of-48 thru October 2015)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment