Thursday, July 14, 2022

Yale University Art Gallery & Neuberger Museum of Art (2)

Thursday, July 14, 2022 - Today Wendy and Ellie are heading for an overnight in Falmouth, so I'm hitting the road to pick up some more art-photos-for-my-collection:
Driving 350 miles in 6-and-1/2 hours, and stopping at 2 museums!

I got down to New Haven by 1:30

I have been here twice in the past 8 months (with my new iPhone camera), so I wanted to do a lot of homework figuring out what was "On View", and what I wanted a new photo of (or to see for the First Time). Today's beauties include:

Meindert Hobbema - "A Winter Scene", ca. 1660 oil

Vincent van Gogh - "Le café de nuit (The Night Café)", 1888 oil

John La Farge - "The Good Knight, Albert Grenville Boynton Memorial", 1903 leaded glass:

William T. Williams - "It's the Time of the Mind in the Middle of the Day", 1970 oil

I then left New Haven, heading west. I am heading for the Neuberger Museum of Art, which is in Purchase College in Purchase, New York (just over the Connecticut border). I have been there once before, in January 2019 - they have a beautiful Jackson Pollock, and I wanted a much-better picture of it.

I reached the Museum at 3:18

Jackson Pollock - "Number 8, 1949", 1949 oil, enamel

It was also fun seeing a Hopper and a Calder:

Edward Hopper - "Barber Shop", 1931 oil:

Alexander Calder - "The Red Ear", 1957:

MapMyWalk had fun at the Neuberger:

There was just too much traffic in New Jersey for me to make it over to the Newark Museum today:
and it was really hot:
So I just kept heading south, checking into the Super 8 in Mount Laurel, New Jersey at 6:45
(I hope the Neuberger Museum of Art doesn't notice anything missing):

Dinner at Five Guys, then a special selfie for Ellie:

The Justice League movie on tv, then lights out at 10 PM. WOW - Thank You God for this Wonderful Adventure/Art Day

Music for today - I have been listening to one of my mp3-cds, and the final album on the cd was:

Jethro Tull - Benefit, 1970 third album

I wasn't fast enough, so I let it play the first album on the cd:

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath [US], 1966
Well, isn't this day STARTING OUT GREAT!!

And then it was time to roll into albums that have never appeared in my blogs:

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos [Live] (2 cds), recorded 2005, released 2006
Wow - loud live music, lots of energy, but I don't need it in my collection.

Neon Trees - Habits, 2010 debut album
A Very Good album - keep it.

Pat Metheny - Orchestrion, 2010
Very good music from Pat - keep it.

Pat Metheny Group - Quartet - Pat Metheny Group, 1996
15 songs - the ones in the beginning are excellent, but some of the other ones are junk. I need to thin this out (but keep most).

Elton John - The Lion King, 1994 soundtrack album
Yes, that Soundtrack Album. I've heard it - I don't need to keep it.

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine/New York:
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment