Tuesday, October 8, 2019

NYC: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim Museum

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 - On Friday I went to the Winslow Homer exhibit at the Cape Ann Museum (no photos allowed) with my checklist. Upon reviewing my results, I discovered a Homer oil down at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) that was new to me! In checking their database, I saw a whole lot of paintings being listed as "On Display" that I have not seen - so I'm doing another day-trip to New York City! I wasn't going to get FRUSTRATED this time, so I left home at 10 minutes before 6 AM. Yes, there's traffic on 128 until I got to 93, then it was pretty clear. A touch of rush-hour at 8:50 going past Hartford, a Cumberland Farms stop, then onto the Merritt Parkway. Things were moving nicely, but then two-lanes-became-one (guard rail work); the same thing happened another 30 miles farther on (tree-cutting work). So I hit the Parking Garage (30 East 85th Street!!!! = 1/2 block from the Museum) at 10 minutes before 12 - 6 hours driving. But I had a book-on-cd (8 cds), so it did go smoothly.

Noon at the Museum:


I was not going to just "wander around" - I was a Man With A Mission:



And I printed out 6 pages of spreadsheet:

Gallery 774 is the storage area (behind glass) on 1_mezzanine.

The Great Hall/entryway was HOPPING:


Of course my first stop was The Temple of Dendur:


I then, over the course of the next 3 hours, took pictures of 151 works of art - paintings, sculpture and stained glass.The "Sweet Sixteen" Highlights are:

Tiffany Studios - Autumn Landscape, 1923-24 stained glass:


Thomas Cole - View from Mount Holyoke, Northampton, Massachusetts, after a Thunderstorm - The Oxbow, 1836 oil:


Worthington Whittredge - The Trout Pool, 1870 oil:


Albert Bierstadt - The Rocky Mountains, Lander's Peak, 1863 oil:


Frederic Edwin Church - Heart of the Andes, 1859 oil:


Thomas Moran - The Teton Range, 1897 oil:


Winslow Homer - The Veteran in a New Field, 1865 oil:


Winslow Homer - The Gulf Stream, 1899 oil:


Childe Hassam - Avenue of the Allies, Great Britain, 1918, 1918 oil:


Georgia O'Keeffe - Cow's Skull: Red, White, and Blue, 1931 oil:


Jackson Pollock - Number 28, 1950, 1950 enamel on canvas:


Canaletto - Piazza San Marco, late 1720s oil:


Francesco Guardi - Venice from the Bacino di San Marco, ca. 1765 oil:


Joseph Mallord William Turner - Whalers, ca. 1845 oil:


Claude Monet - The Manneporte near Étretat, 1886 oil:


Vincent van Gogh - Wheat Field with Cypresses, 1889 oil:


I then walked 6 blocks up Fifth Avenue to the Guggenheim Museum:


Even with all my years living in New York City, this is my first visit to the Guggenheim. They have 3 pieces I want to see:

Amedeo Modigliani - Jeanne Hébuterne with Yellow Sweater (Le sweater jaune), 1918-19 oil:


Pablo Picasso - Carafe, Jug, and Fruit Bowl (Carafon, pot et compotier), 1909 oil:


Jackson Pollock - Number 18, 1950 oil and enamel:


Picked up the car at 3:45, dinner on the road. Home at 8:30!! WOW - Thank You God for these Great Days!

For my listening pleasure, I went into the library and got a book-on-cd. I asked the librarian for a recommendation (What do you like? Well, science fiction, James Bond, thrillers. Try this!)

"Sea of Greed" by Clive Cussler, 2018:

WOW - 8 cds of non-stop action & adventure, ranging from the Gulf of Mexico to Bermuda to Kazakhstan to the Mediterranean Sea!! That certainly got me through today's driving!

Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking in New England & the Adirondacks (the 4,000 footers; the 100 Highest; WATERFALLS)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment