Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Otis Ridge skiing - Kaaterskill Falls hike

Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2019 - Skiing at Otis Ridge, hiking at Kaaterskill Falls = 174 miles driving, 4+ hours:


Wendy and Caroline are up in Toronto for 4 days for a Revival/Conference, so I'm hitting the road for a couple of days. After I dropped off Caroline at Logan yesterday afternoon, I headed out the Mass Pike, and spent the night at the EconoLodge in Pittsfield (redeemed points = FREE!).

Today I was up-and-about - left Pittsfield just after 9, and got to Otis Ridge Ski Camp just before 10:


I remember going to ski camp here when I was 12 years old - I haven't been back since! (It seemed bigger back then):



I did 8 runs in an hour, for $20 - I had a wonderful time!!

I'm still collecting Post Offices:



At noon I had a nice lunch at the "West Street Grill" in Litchfield, Conn.:



I then drove northwest into New York State. I recently discovered a GREAT BOOK:

(I'm getting a copy on my birthday!) I discovered "River Road":



which is a really nice road from Rhinebeck to Annandale-on-Hudson.

After that nice drive, I crossed over the Hudson River and made my way up to the Kaaterskill Falls Trail Head. I had previously been up here (Thursday, May 17, 2018), but I didn't go far enough up the Trail to see the actual Falls!

A 3:20 PM shot of the lower falls today:

versus last May:


It was a great hike (picture this all with snow!):

it was great getting up to the "real Falls":

and even up behind them:


Very Cool Frozen Blue Waterfall!!!.

I hiked 3.22 miles in 1 hour 38 minutes (before the sun set), and then headed down to the Rodeway Inn in Kingston, NY (another free night thanks to Points!). Thank you God for these Wonderful Adventures!

I'm listening to a cd I burning 19 years ago, consisting of 181 songs in mp3 format. Yesterday's Driving Music was:

Robert Plant - Fate of Nations, 1993


Dire Straits - Love Over Gold, 1982


various artists - MIX 98.5 Vol. 2, 1988


Today's Driving Music:

Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time, 1989


Pink Floyd - The Wall, 1979 double album


R.E.M. - Murmur, 1983 first album


Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson, 1987 solo debut album


The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967


Jimmy Buffett - Son of a Son of a Sailor, 1978


No comments:

Post a Comment