Thursday, March 9, 2017

New Zealand 2017 - Day 22 Afternoon: Red Tarns Track, Cass Crib

Thursday, March 9 - Afternoon: Red Tarns Track, then over to Cass Crib in Lake Tekapo:
I took a "Visitor Center photo" of our morning hike up to Hooker Lake, and then my afternoon hike (at the bottom) up the side of Mt Sebastopol - Red Tarns Track:


My sophisticated capture-and-display of Red Tarns Track information:




Unfortunately (I HATE saying that when I'm hiking!), I made a mistake (bad signage; delivery truck covering other "real" sign) and additionally hiked the Governors Bush Track. I came out where the Red Tarns Track crosses over the Black Birch Stream:


A 1975 Geology paper wrote: "Extensive areas of scree are present." Do you think??

And then I went up-up-up the track:


At the top of the trail, the views are WONDERFUL, with the Village far far below:




The "red tarns" are high alpine ponds coloured red by their vegetation:

Can you spot the hikers?

(he is standing, and she is sitting. We waved to each other.)

A look west at the mountains above Black Birch Stream:

and a final look north at the Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park:


I found a kml file for Red Tarns Track (in Google Earth), but the default is just sort-of looking down on the trail:

But Google Earth allows you to twist-and-turn the display, so this is looking up the mountain!:


I could not believe how much up-up-up the trail was in the beginning, so I counted the stairsteps on my way down - 1386!!

We then drove an hour+ down the road to Lake Tekapo, where, it turns out, I had rented A WHOLE HOUSE!! FOR TWO NIGHTS!! WITH THE BEST SHOWER IN ALL OF NEW ZEALAND!!



The view out the back, with a glimpse of Lake Tekapo:


After a nice dinner in town at Mackenzie's, it was off to bed! THANK YOU GOD for these wonderful adventures in these Beautiful Places!!

Music today - music from my silver nano:
Dave Matthews Band - The Central Park Concert, 2003 (cd 2-of-3)


No comments:

Post a Comment