Saturday, April 30, 2016

NJ-PA-VA-DC Day Two

Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon, April 29-May 2, 2016 - Art, Friends, Rowing:
The inspiration for this trip is a Rowing Luncheon in Philadelphia, and excellent Museum Exhibits in Norfolk and Washington!

Day Two

277 actual miles today; left Super 8, Newark, DE at 7 AM, met John and Lonnie at 7 PM.

It is good to see another of my "road buddies" at the Pennsylvania Rest Stop:


I parked on Schuylkill River Drive, up from the Boathouses, but about a mile down from the racecourse. They sure have a nice place to row!


I took a fun selfie with Jack Kelly (John B. Kelly, Sr.):


And it was GREAT to see the Lightweight Varsity beat Navy by open water:


I walked back to the Boathouse


and then into town to The Barnes Foundation


They have a "no photos" policy, but they have an excellent website, with images. There are literally hundreds of paintings on display, including:
Paul Cézanne (French, 1839–1906) [67]
Henri Matisse (French, 1869–1954) [59]
Pablo Picasso (Spanish, 1881–1973) [46]
Pierre-Auguste Renoir (French, 1841–1919) [181]
Henri Rousseau (French, 1844–1910) [18]
Peter Paul Rubens (Flemish, 1577–1640) [3]
Vincent van Gogh (Dutch, 1853–1890) [7]
Joan Miró (Spanish, 1893–1983) [3]
Amedeo Modigliani (Italian, 1884–1920) [14]
Claude Monet (French, 1840–1926) [4]
(yes, that means they do have 181 paintings by Renoir)

My favorites are a very nice Canaletto:


and a couple by Amedeo Modigliani:



I walked back up to the car - I did all this walking because on any given Saturday, Philadelphia is mobbed by pedestrians - Walk For this, Bike For that, Run For this and that. If you find a parking spot, keep it. I wound up walking 8.78 miles!


Then up to a Lightweight Crew Luncheon (and Speeches) in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia (VERY NICE)



I was looking at the Speaker - I don't know what those two guys are looking at!!

And then 4-and-1/2 hours to get to John and Lonnie at a German Restaurant in Fredericksburg (it was celebrating The Asparagus Festival), and then a good night's sleep back at their place. Thank You God for a Great Day!

Music today was albums:

I wanted to hear John Lee Hooker doing "Boom Boom" (NCIS: New Orleans theme song) - it sounded GREAT (New Millennium Blues Party, released in 2000). I just kept it on, and the next song was Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble "Flood Down in Texas" - if Houston keeps flooding, I'm going to keep listening to this music!


and, of course, the rest of the album was great too!

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 by Stevie Ray Vaughan, 1999


Playboy Jazz After Dark (2 cds) by various artists, 2003


The Definitive Rod Stewart (cd #1) by Rod Stewart, 2009


Shameless Plug: if you enjoy this blog, you may like my other one about Hiking the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire (I have done 41-of-48 thru October 2015)
hyperlink: dixonheadingnorth
http://dixonheadingnorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment