Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Florida - Day Nine (Clearwater, FL - Winter Park, FL - Daytona Beach, FL)

170 miles today, another beautiful Florida day in the 80s.


Driving up to Winter Park, Wendy and I saw a really cool building in the middle of nowhere:

It is Florida Polytechnic University in Polk City, Florida on I-4 between Tampa and Orlando.

Wendy and I got to Winter Park, and The George D. and Harriet W. Cornell Fine Arts Museum, at Rollins College. I took a picture of a really cool sculpture - Mark Di Suvero - Moon Dog, 1981:


Sometimes its not about the art


After a great lunch with Wendy's cousin Lucy we visited The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park to marvel at some of Tiffany's work. Then off to Daytona Beach, and the Museum of Arts & Sciences. They have a nice collections of paintings (William Trost Richards, Edward Moran, William Sonntag, George Loring Brown, William Keith, Jasper Cropsey, Edmund Darch Lewis, and Asher B. Durand)

George Loring Brown - Panoramic View of Venice, 1873


William Keith - Cypress Point, Monterey, c. 1875

William Keith (1838-1911) was a western artist very similar to Thomas Hill, and is one of the next 5 artists I want to research for my Where's the Art app.

Edmund Darch Lewis - Mount Mansfield, New Hampshire, 1866


But the COOLEST THING was the Giant Ground Sloth!!


Then off to the Super 8 Daytona Beach, and the view from our room!


After dinner at Johnny Rockets about a mile down the road, we called it a day. Thank you God for a great day!

Music today:

Garland Jeffreys - American Boy & Girl (1979)


Grateful Dead - American Beauty (1970)


Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead (live) (1971)


I guess that you have figured out that I don't listen to as much music when I travel with my wife (we talk), and it is at a softer volume, so I might just push replay. It is still a very enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment