Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Florida - Day Two (Allentown, PA - Carlisle, PA - Hagerstown, MD - Winchester, VA - Lynchburg, VA - Danville, VA)

460 miles today, with the temperature getting warmer as I get further south (44 degrees in Danville, VA)


You can see on the map that I am driving a gentle curve going west/southwest/south, planning on hitting 4 museums. I had originally planned on 5 museums, but the Museum at Sweet Briar College replied to my email saying that none of the four paintings I wanted to see were on display - so I scratched them off my list. I emailed all the museums/galleries on Feb 20, but did not hear back from either Trout Gallery (Carlisle, PA) or the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley (Winchester, VA).

As it turns out, the Trout Gallery at Dickinson College does not have a permanent exhibit, so none of the five pieces I like were available. So back onto 81 South to the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts in Hagerstown, Maryland. It is "Museum Gems" like this one that make it all worthwhile! Set in a park, with ducks and swans in the half-frozen pond, it is a one-story treasure. Pieces include:

a pair of Rodin sculptures
Childe Hassam - White House, Gloucester, 1885
Albert Bierstadt - In the Rockies
George Inness - The Coming Storm, 1876
James Fairman - Songo River, Maine, 1865
William Stanley Haseltine - Nahant Rocks, New England, 1864
Thomas Cole - Study for "The Voyage of Life: Childhood", c. 1840-1842
Jasper Cropsey - Autumn Landscape with View of River, 1870
Thomas Moran - Lower Manhattan from Communipaw, New Jersey, 1880
John Kensett - A Mountain Pool, 1863
James McDougal Hart - Cattle Grazing
sculpture by Anna Hyatt Huntington - Diana of the Chase, 1922
sculpture of child by L'Deane Trueblood - Garden Sprite

Diana of the Chase, 1922


Garden Sprite


Childe Hassam - White House, Gloucester, 1885


and what the heck - here are four other beauties:
John Kensett - A Mountain Pool, 1863


William Stanley Haseltine - Nahant Rocks, New England, 1864


Jasper Cropsey - Autumn Landscape with View of River, 1870


Thomas Moran - Lower Manhattan from Communipaw, New Jersey, 1880


as you leave the museum, there is an Oscar Wilde quote engraved into the arch:

I'm not sure I can disagree.

but not every museum has what I want. 46 miles down the road at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, there were no paintings I liked on display (I had not gotten a reply to my email). When I asked her about the two Cropsey's in their collection, one of the docents said "Oh, the beautiful ones ... well, they are not up now". You win some, you lose some.

But south from there, in Lynchburg, Virginia, is a wonderful collection at the Maier Museum of Art at Randolph College! Included in their collection are

John Kensett - On the Connecticut Shore, 1871


Thomas Cole - Corway Peak, New Hampshire, 1844


Thomas Moran - View of Venice, 1894


Edward Hopper - Mrs. Scott's House, 1932


At 6 PM I checked in to the Super 8 in Danville, VA (only 4 miles north of the North Carolina border), and I was glad to see they have a waffle-maker (many Super 8s - maybe one-third - no longer have the waffle machines). So it will be a great start for tomorrow! Thank you God for a great day!

Music today (I listened to albums):

Roger Waters - In The Flesh (live)(second cd) (2000)


Van Morrison - Inarticulate Speech of the Heart (1983)


Indigo Girls - first album (Indigo Girls) (1989)


Bob Dylan - Infidels (1983)


Bill Morrissey - Inside (1992)


Jamie Cullum - Interlude (pre-release) (2015)


Van Morrison - Into the Music (1979)


Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild (2007)


Q-Burns Abstract Message - Invisible Airline (2001)


My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves (2003)


No comments:

Post a Comment